Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sing it, matey!

Ahoy, mateys! Janet's Tell it to me Tuesday question this week is a pretty good one- What are the best albums you believe most people have never heard? Aye, Aye!

The album that jumped to mind first is easy: Live from 6A, The Conan O'Brien Show: Bear with me here. It's not a comedy album nor clips of his best interview segments- it's some of the best of his musical guests. Just look at the list: Ani DiFranco, David Bowie, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Elvis Costello- and, of course, Matthew Sweet perfoming "Do Ya", which is the reason I bought the album. I heard that song once, on the radio, and bought the album without hearing another thing on it. If it had been the only good performance on it, it still would've been worth the money, but I was pleasantly surprized to find that the whole damn collection is that good. Really, check it out.

Another unheard great: John Hiatt, Stolen Moments. John Hiatt has already been mentioned by someone else responding to Janet's question, but not this album. It's hard to pick a favorite John Hiatt album, but this one has special memories for me. Understand, though, that it's not its sentimentality that makes it special; the fact that it's so good is why I had it playing at one of the best moments in my life. (It's still a little joy, a little peace, and a whole lotta light.)

Bear with me on this one: Keith Richards, Talk is Cheap. Yep, I just plugged a Keith Richards album. Never was a Stones fan, even. Y'know, I won't even try to defend the choice; just go find it in a discount bin somewhere, buy it, and you'll know I'm right. It's really that good. Oooo- cool tie-in- Richards is playing a pirate! Arr!

I know I'll probably think of more as the day goes on, so I'll put them in the comments. What be ye favorite hornpipe, mateys?

2 comments:

Natsthename said...

I love Stolen Moments, too. It's a tough call...I have a trinity of favorite Hiatt's...Bring The Family, Slow Turning, and Stolen Moments. All great stuff!

Janet said...

Two, count em, two people chose John Hiatt so far. Coincidence? Yeah, maybe so.:)