Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rep. Chris Smith on Oprah today

Yup.
Smith to visit Oprah, discuss trafficking law
Wednesday, January 25, 2006
U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-Hamilton, will appear on Oprah Winfrey's television show today to talk about a bill he sponsored to strengthen and expand the nation's laws against human trafficking.
President Bush signed the bill, the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2005, into law earlier this month. Last fall, Winfrey encouraged her viewers to send letters and e-mails to their elected representatives in support of the bill.

Am not an Oprah watcher, so I don't know if I'll see it. It's good trumpeting for Smith though, an issue that is important and a bill he sponsored. I'd say it's all good publicity for re-election this year, but still no one has signed up to run against him for the NJ-4 congressional seat so I doubt he's very worried. (The 2nd and the 11th also have no Democrat challenger yet.)

So, who's going to run against Chris Smith? Who should?

2 comments:

DBK said...

I am wondering whether this law will apply in Saipan, where Tom Delay worked for Jack Armstrong's lobby to make them exempt from US minimum wage laws and to help protect the practice of having Chinese women as sex slaves.

Read Franken's book The Truth (with jokes). He tells the whole story in there. If Smith wants any credibility, let him talk about that and state how he would make it illegal and punish the ones who did it and supported it. We'll see if he's so all-fired principled when he has to talk about Republican involvement with Saipan.

Sharon GR said...

I did read The Truth (with Jokes). The stories about hideous labor, the sex trade and forced abortions (yes, that's what he talked about) in the American Marianas is horrid. I hadn't considered that with this issue.

Now I know what I'm writing to my congressman this week!