Friday, January 20, 2006

I can't believe he's really doing that

Tom Kean Jr. has decide to run for senate under his dad's name. Wait- I mean, he plans to drop the "Jr." from his name, reports Wally Edge of PoliticsNJ:
The presumptive favorite for the Republican U.S. Senate nomination will run as Tom Kean -- not as Tom Kean, Jr., as he did in previous races for Congress, State Assembly and State Senator. Tom Kean is the son of Thomas H. Kean, who served as Governor of New Jersey from 1982 to 1990.

I guess daddy's coattails weren't enough; he wants to be absolutely sure that voters confuse him with his dad.

Scott Shields (from whom I lifted almost this entire post) said it best at BlueJersey.net: "really, really gross."

3 comments:

Jack said...

I don't really have a sense of how liberal a Republican Jr. is. I think there's a good chance that he could replace Lincoln Chafee, who is expected to lose to a Democrat, as the Senate's only liberal Republican.

- Jersey Perspective

Anonymous said...

No matter how liberal Kean, Jr. may be, it's worth noting that even the most liberal Republican leans further right than the most conservative Democrat.

And Sharon, feel free to lift whatever you might like whenever you see fit!

Jack said...

I think you're almost completely right on that Scott. There are hardly any moderate Republicans around. However, in the U.S Senate I think Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) are more closely aligned with my liberal ideology than Ben Nelson (D-NE) and possibly one or two others.

- Jersey Perspective