Saturday, July 01, 2006

ANY friend of the devil?

I love music. But I've never really gotten into the Grateful Dead.

Some Deadheads may not be able to reconcile those two statements, and maybe they're right. It's very possibly true that I've just never heard the tracks that would would illuminate the magic for me. But since I keep finding new (or new-to-me) artists I do like, I haven't felt the need to explore further. (If any Deadheads want to suggest a track or two to convert a non-believer, feel free. "Casey Jones" advocates need not apply... if anything, I'm more an "Uncle John's Band" kinda guy.)

Part of my antipathy is very likely due to the fact that the Dead's late-80's resurgence came along just as I was starting college, and a lot of the "fans" who picked up on them then very vocally regarded the shows as an excuse to get wasted with lots of temporary best friends and a professional light show, rather than anything remotely musical. This is not something I held against the band -- I don't think they were consciously projecting this image at the time -- but it did reinforce a stereotype in my mind. (And yes, I realize that a lot of fans -- not to mention the band themselves -- were and are genuinely socially progressive.)

So anyway, when Jerry died in August '95, a lot of people were really upset and moved. Other sentiments were slightly less, ah, sentimental:

"It was very sad after Jerry died, not because I felt like I had a psychic connection to him or anything, but only because something really fun I liked to do, I couldn't do anymore. It would be as if all ski resorts just shut down one day."

So says Ann Coulter, who is of course famously averse to public grieving, so maybe it doesn't give a full sense of how the man's death affected her. (If only the 9/11 widows could show such restraint!) For more on her love of the band, help yourself to www.jambands.com/Features/content_2006_06_23.06.phtml

Another touching passage:

"The one time I missed not being able to go to Dead shows more than any other since Jerry died was during the Clinton impeachment. There was so much viciousness - killed cats, punctured tires, threats, investigations and slander against those of us favoring impeachment. (Anthony Pellicano, you'll recall – the Hollywood private investigator now accused of criminal conspiracy, attempted murder, and making criminal threats – was working for the Clintons during the Monica Lewinsky investigation.) I don't really care what people say about me – I'm a Christian so there's nothing anyone can ever do to me – but I kept thinking: “Boy, would I like to go to a Dead show and dance with happy, friendly deadheads for just one night!”

I wish you could too, Ann. If only. I'm sure Jerry wishes he had the opportunity to play for you again; he might even serenade you in front of the whole crowd.

3 comments:

Rob S. said...

Ugh. I think I need a shower.

And I like "Uncle John's Band" better than "Casey Jones," too, but I like "Sugaree" better than both of them.

Bob said...

Well, there was nothing like a Dead show. That is true.

If UJB is your speed, Sugaree as Rob S. pointed out would be something else to listen to. I will add Tennessee Jed, Might As Well, and Ramble On Rose.

The Dead played many different genres and could take a song and in the words of Paula Abdul made it their own.

Find a show with Scarlet Begonias going into Fire On The Mountain. Nassau in 1979 was one such show that was inspirational. This highlights the jamming the Dead could do. But then you'll want to check out 1973 because that was a period in which they excelled. But then the Fillmore run in 71 was something special too. But then there were special shows intertwine throughout their career.

THere is just so much to select from. If you need specific show recommendations, let me know.

Jack said...

An Uncle John's Bandish type song is "Saint Stevens." I dont think too many people can dislike "A Box of Rain" either, but you've probably heard that one.

Many Dead-heads still have fun by going to Phish concerts. This of course inspires bumper stickers such as "Jerry's Dead and Phish Sucks."

- BlueWaveNJ