Thursday, September 29, 2005

I can't fuckin' believe he said that #2

Former Secretary of Education Bill Bennet, yesterday morning on his radio show:

"But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. "

Well, at least he's aware it's morally reprehensable.

There's some discussion of context on the Media Matters link above. Context always matters, of course, but there's no excuse for saying a ridiculous, horrid, racist thing like that.

I can't fuckin' believe he said that.

(Biggest of many hat tips to Professor Kim)

UPDATE 11:35AM 9/30 From Nordette at NJ Spoken Word: "He knew what he was doing. Consequently, I maintain that he should not apologize. Apologies should be motivated by contrition, not by pressure from opposing groups or political cronies. Besides, I'm glad he said it. I like my exploitative, racist sons of bitches to wear their white sheets proudly. I can see 'em coming better that way. No need to wait for the whites of their eyes.

1 comment:

DBK said...

I read your posting this morning and could think of nothing to say. I still cannot think of anything to say. It's stunning. I'm stunned, and not by the political stupidity of it, but the social stupidity of it. This was a guy who was the Secretary of Education. This is why I am always extremely reluctant to vote for any Republican. This guy was Secretary of Education and shows an understanding of poverty, crime, education, and all those other social matters that is as ignorant as the most backward 1950s backwoods racist.