Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Read a good book lately?

I have and I have to recommend it heartily. I just read the first two books in the graphic novels of the comic books Y-the last man.

It's one of the best comic books I've ever read.

Now, I'm not a regular comic book junkie. I've read things Rob S. has recommended and several popular series like The Crow, but I'm by no means an aficionado. I'm usually a text-print book reader.

But I have to tell you, this is amazing. The story is astonishingly good and the art is too. Do yourself a favor and seek it out, from the beginning.

When I finish with this, a new book just came in the mail for me to start: The Last Three Miles, which only just became available. You know the author from his opinion mill.

4 comments:

Jeri said...

LOVE Y-The Last Man. Like you, I get most of my recs from Rob and my friend Jason. This is by far one of my favorites, up there with Sandman and Transmetropolitan.

Sharon GR said...

I just got Book 3 and I read most of it yesterday. I have 4 and 5 also- might not get anything else done today...

Rob S. said...

That Brian K. Vaughan is a talented fella. I've got his Pride of Baghdad graphic novel on the to-be-read pile on my shelf right now -- it's supposed to be phenomenal. And his Ex Machina series is excellent, too -- with a final page of the first issue (or first chapter, now that it's been collected) that left me gasping the first time I saw it.

Rob S. said...

It's been bugging me that I praised Brian Vaughan without mentioning Pia Guerra's outstanding contribution to the book. She grounds the action in reality, making the unusual situation much more palpable. Plus, in an indusrty where some of the "hottest" artists can only draw one female face with different hairstyles, she's designed an impressive variety of characters with only one gender to choose from. She's done a masterful job -- and your interest proves that it's a clarity that carries over to people who aren't regular comics readers as well.

If I knew more work from her, I'd recommend it; as it is, I'll have to settle for looking for her next book now that Y is nearing the end of its run.