Monday, June 12, 2006

AFL-CIO mailing

Today, I (and you, probably) received in my mailbox a flyer from the AFL-CIO, along with the NJEA and the Communications Workers of America, requesting I fire off postcards to be sent to my state senator and assemblyman on my behalf, urging them to "Pass Governor Corzine's budget today."

They sent only two preprinted postcards; I guess they see no point in my lobbying my assemblywoman, Jennifer Beck, a Republican.

I've written extensively on this subject, especially when Corzine introduced the budget. I support it. There are cuts in it, regardless of what stupid, sensationalist radio announcers and extreme-partisan bloggers will tell you, and the tax increases are reasonable at this time- plus there is a significant reduction in gimmicky one-shot revenue tricks. We got a thumbs-up on it from the Wall Street types- folks who know about finance, fans and friends, way more than you or I- who are also the folks who set our bond rating, which determines how much we pay in interest on our massive state debt. No, I'm not happy about paying an extra percent on sales tax, but increasing our debt or even deeper cuts to services will make this a worse state to live in, and that's unacceptable to me. No one is happy about every provision in this budget, but overall it makes sense, and I support it as the most fiscally responsible thing to do at this time.

This union mailing made me realize I'd never asked my legislators what they think, nor have I written them to tell them what I think. D'oh!

I'm not sending the postcards. I sent an email, which should get responses from them rather quickly. I'll let you know what they say.

Oh, if you haven't written your legislators about the budget, go do it now. Tell them what you think, and be specific- if there's a provision you specifically appreciate or dislike, tell them.

Make Your Voice Heard.

No comments: