Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Another good program, cut from the budget.

The Governor's Schools have been put on the chopping block for this year's budget. The Governor's office has been looking into private funds to save the 22-year-old program:


Spokesman Anthony Coley said there are no assurances that using private funds is allowed under current statutes, or that enough money could be raised in time to save the program.

But, he said, several individuals and organizations have stepped forward to say they could come up with enough money to keep the program afloat this year. In each of the past five years, the program has received $1.9 million in state funding.

"There are people who say they can do it," Coley said. "This is on the fast track. ... We hope to have a resolution and answer to this soon."

Coley refused to say who has offered to donate money.

Yesterday's announcement came the same day that The Star-Ledger reported Corzine had cut the program from his $30 billion spending plan now before the Legislature. Elimination of the program has sparked an outcry from alumni, prospective students and other supporters.

I went to the Governor's School in Political Issues and Future of New Jersey, twenty years ago. It was an amazing experience that I could never forget. Scholars had a specific focus class; mine was in education. At the time I was living in a town with what was universally regarded as one of the top (bottom?) two worst school board in the state, with constant infighting and a horribly overpaid and underuseful superintendentant, so I had a whole lot to discuss. I met people from all over the state, listened to lectures and had great debates. It was the most shaping experience of my life up to that point.

So why haven't I pointed you to the petition yet, or encouraged you to lobby for continuing the schools?

Because I haven't made up my mind yet.

It's a lot of money- nearly $2 million in each of the last 5 years. We're facing a huge budget crisis, with every special interest desperately clutching onto their funding. Plus, and this is in hindsight but may still be true, many of the kids there came from families that could afford specialized summer camps/schools for their kids, so why is the state picking up the tab for everyone?

So, I'm torn: between my memories of what a great experience it was and how important it is for the current batch of high schoolers to have that opportunity, and my cynicism as a taxpayer.

Maybe they'll get the private funding. That would be the very best thing. I'd even kick in a few bucks to a fund to kep it going- I bet a lot of alumni would. Maybe even the gov or the past govs, from their own money.

Interesting side note- I searched through the signatures on the petition, and only one alumnus from my year and school has signed. I wonder if many of them don't know about it, or if it's a similar quandry of position for them as it is for me. We would've argued for hours about it, of that I'm sure.

No comments: