Friday, February 10, 2006

Winter in the Center of NJ

Damned groundhog was right; winter's back, full force. We're under a winter storm watch from Saturday afternoon through Sunday morning, with estimations ranging from 6-12 inches, according to the National Weather Service.

I love the snow, especially when it doesn't affect most commuters. I have plans for tomorrow but I won't mind too much to cancel them. We'll put on the snowsuits and have a grand old time.

What I'm dreading? I have to go to the grocery store. I have no choice, we're out of too many things. Luckily, I don't really need bread, milk or eggs- why does everyone stock up on those when snow is coming? Are they planning to stay home and make French Toast?

I've talked to a number of folks who feel like they're in a funk lately. We all have separate reasons but it seems too many to be coincidental. Maybe a change of scenery will help us all; a change to a pretty white snowcover.

8 comments:

Rob S. said...

Uh-oh. Wonder if I'll be able to get home?

Jeri said...

At one of the jobs I had, whenever there was snow in the forecast, everyone started singing:

"Eggs, milk, toilet paper,
Abandon your cars,
Abandon your cars"

It kinda refelcted on just how nuts everyone got on account of a little snow.

I like snow.

Christian

DBK said...

Whenever there's a report on the news about a big snowstorm, you see people go to the store and buy extra loaves of bread and extra gallons of milk. Oh, and gallons of bottled water. It's nuts. This is New Jersey, for crying all night. I can't remember ever being prevented from getting to a store and buying food for more than two days by the worst blizzard or nor'easter.

Sharon GR said...

The "Storm of the Century" in 1993 is one of the worst storms we've ever had in NJ. We got 36 inches of snow in one day( where I lived, anyway) and high winds that made drifts that covered our front door.

We were completely dug out in less than a day and a half.

I understand not wanting to drive out in a snowstorm, but people panic, and it's crazy!

BTW, I did hit the grocery, and it was positively packed. Luckily, they expected it, with every checkout line open and baggers too. Wasn't too horrible!

When do you get in, rob s? Make sure you call your airline before heading to the airport!

jay lassiter said...

On my way home, I noticed there were two news cam crews in the parkinglot at the green grocer.
So snow or no, the good people on cherry hill, NJ are already into scramblin-for-provisions mode.

Bob said...

The only snow worth worrying about is the one that happens between morning & afternoon commute. Our main roads are plowed during storms, & streets are pretty clear within a couple of hours after the snow ends. All that's left is to shovel the sidewalk & dig out the car. Quick Check never closes. Heavy rainfalls are much more unpredictable & dangerous.

Janet said...

I ventured out the to the grocery store today and nearly everything was gone. It's just a foot of snow people, not the apocalypse!

gregor said...

I usually do my shopping on Sunday mornings, but decided to go Friday night on my way home from work instead. I can only describe it with one word - locusts. Well, two words - obnoxious locusts. The threat of bad weather brings out the worst in people.
I also happened to be on Route 18 when it started to snow this afternoon. As soon as the flakes started falling, everyone hit that automotive option unique to New Jersey - the Idiot Switch. Amazing.