Friday, February 01, 2008

Stand against hate

I've watched the fountain in Hightstown rise and like so many others I couldn't wait to see how it would look when done. One morning a few days ago, I walked past it only to see it covered in a tarp. I figured it was part of the construction. I didn't see the newspaper until later, and found out what had been painted on it.

I know racisim exists. I know it's out there in the world. It's a horrible feeling when it hits so close to home.

About a hundred people gathered last night in solidarity against the racist grafiti found in Hightstown and Roosevelt. Big thanks go to Sandra Johnson, Lenore Isleib and Judith Weiss for organizing a way us to show both our displeasure at these slur in these little towns, and our unity in moving forward- away from hate. It was great to see how many people crowded into the Point and into the meeting afterward. People came not just from these two towns, but from many communities, religions and walks of life.

The good feeling from this gathering erased that earlier horrible one.

No comments: